Item from a self-assessment exercise to determine personal wants.
1. Select the three personal wants which are most important to you in your next job assignment and circle them below.
2. Select the three personal wants which are least important to you in your next career step and draw a line through them.
3. Add personal wants you don’t find on the list.
Personal wants :
Freedom from Worry
Time with Family
4. Does your present job setting offer possibilities for satisfying what you want most in your next step? If yes, describe how. If no, what setting is indicated?
5. Do you want your next job assignment to satisfy your wants? If yes, how? If no, why not?
6. Decide what you want most in your next job assignment and describe it.
7. Describe the major activities you can do and will do to gain what you want, but don’t use job titles or positions to describe what you will do. Describe the type of activities you’ll perform to achieve what you want. List at least five activities you can perform now.
Examples: I’ll analyze data for financial records.
I’ll collect more from creditors.
I’ll marry the boss’s daughter.
8. Do you need to develop some new skills or abilities to improve your potential for your next step ? It so, what skills or abilities would you develop?
9. Summarize what you personally want and what you can do and will do to satisfy your wants.